Mahogany Longcase by Mummery, Dover
Late Georgian longcase clock in a finely figured mahogany case with satinwood stringing and quadrant shell inlay to the raised, moulded base. Long arched trunk door with reeded canted corners and brass capitals.
Pagoda top hood with shell inlay, reeded pillars and brass capitals either side of the dial.
Beautifully decorated painted dial featuring a river scene to the arch with Roman numerals, original blued steel hands and subsidiary dials for seconds and a calendar signed ’Mummery, Dover’.
Eight day four pillar movement striking the hours on a large bell, original lead weights and brass bob pendulum. C.1830
Michael Pearsons informative book ‘Kent clocks and clockmaker’s’ lists Thomas Mummery (senior) as working in Dover from 1808 when he gained his freedom from the clockmakers company until 1855. He started his apprenticeship on the 8th April 1799 with the watchmaker Richard Cramp. Richard Cramp was a watchmaker working in Burgate Street, Canterbury.