John Baker, Sevenoaks c.1735
Oak Longcase Clock by John Baker of Sevenoaks.
Slim oak case standing on a raised plinth with long trunk door and a rich patina and original brass escutcheon. The pull forward hood is flanked by integral pillars with gilded capitals and quarter pillars to the rear. Ten inch brass dial with corner spandrels, finely matted centre with beautifully engraved birds and original iron single hand, silvered chapter ring with Roman numerals signed ‘John Baker, Sevenoaks’.
Thirty hour, rope driven birdcage movement with brass pillars and outside countwheel strike on a large centrally mounted bell. C.1735
‘Kent clockmakers and watchmakers’ by Michael Pearson lists John Baker as having made a tavern clock which is now in the Maidstone museum but was most probably originally made for the Rose and Crown on the Royal Crown in Sevenoaks. The Maidstone museum also have in their collection a brass silvered dial from a thirty hour movement engraved John Baker, Sevenoaks. It is likely that John Baker was related to the Bakers of West Malling given the close proximity of the two towns.
Watchmakers and clockmakers of the world’ by Brian Loomes lists John Baker of Sevenoaks as working in Sevenoaks from early to late in the eighteenth century.