William IV Bracket Clock by Daniel Ross, Exeter
Early Victorian miniature Pollard Oak Bracket clock in a gothic case with applied carved decoration, Bamboo pillars surmounted by a central carved finial with a carved Fleur-de-Lys coat of arms above the apex of the glazed door. The clock stands on a moulded base and rests on four turned bun feet. Gilded and profusely engraved dial mask, gilded chapter ring with Roman numerals signed Ross, Exeter.
Side viewing apertures and glazed rear door give way to the substantial Eight day double chain Fusee movement with thick brass plates, wheelwork of fine quality with pull repeat on a large coiled gong. The backplate signed Ross, Exeter just below the regulating pendulum. C.1840
An Exceptionally Rare Bracket Clock.
‘Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World’ by Brian Loomes lists Daniel Ross as having been born in 1812 and working from the High Street in Exeter from 1837 to 1864. Prior to this, he was apprenticed to the eminent makers in London Troughton and Simms, who invented a wheel cutting engine and a compensated pendulum. Not only were they famous for the high quality of their clocks but also instruments and sundials. Clive Ponsford’s informative book
‘Devon clocks and clockmakers’ lists Daniel Ross as follows:
Ross, Daniel: Exeter. Chronometer, watch and clockmaker, 31 High Street…has commenced business … and trusts the practical knowledge he has acquired of the trade from one of the first chronometer and watchmakers in London, will secure for him that patronage it will ever be his study todeserve. Watches and clocks on the most improved and scientific principles made and accurately repaired (Exeter Gazette, 2 Sept 1837). Ship instruments (1848 advertisement). Moved to 230 High St in in 1855 and to Bedford St in 1859; on the closure of the business in 1864 Rosss stock of clocks and watches was acquired by Messrs Ellis, 200 High St (EFP). He was recorded in 1861 Census at Bedford St, aged 49, watchmaker, born Exeter, blind about 10 years. His wife, Mary Anne, died 10 July 1863 (EFP). Ross successfully tendered in 1844 to supply the clock at Exminster Hospital; he also supplied one for Old Blundells School, Tiverton, and another for St Marks Church, Dawlish (now demolished). His clocks and watches are invariably of a high standard; they include Rosewood cased bracket and travelling (four glass) clocks. The name Ross, Exeter is on a handsome pair of burrwood library timepieces, one of which is illustrated in C.N.Ponsford, Time in Exeter. Exeter Museum has a lever escapement , silver watch.