Victorian Sextant by Crichton Brothers of London
A fine 8 inch lacquered brass frame radius vernier sextant by ‘Crichton Brothers of London’. Polished arc signed ’Crichton Bros, London and R.H.Henderson, Esq R.N’.
Silvered scale marked from 0 degrees to 160 degrees with swivel magnifier, adjustable tube socket, seven shades, two mirrors and mahogany holding handle. All housed in its original mahogany box with most fittings still present.
The box carries a later trade repairers label for George Lea and Son, Portsea.
The Crichton Brothers were leading philosophical, mathematical and nautical instrument makers of the day. John Crichton set up in business in 1820 at 32, Fore Street, Limehouse, Leadenhall, moving later to Leadenhall Street in 1831 where both he and his son worked until 1869 when they moved to 11 Billiter Street where they were last recorded in 1877. They made all types of scientific instruments including telescopes, microscopes and sympiesometers.
In 1832 J.F.Daniel a leading scientist and professor of chemistry at Kings College, London wrote about a standard barometer with attached thermometer as being a very delicate instrument made by Crichton. C.1870