Silver Carriage Clock by William Comyns
Edwardian miniature silver carriage clock in a hammered case standing on bun feet with double scroll handle. Enamel dial with Roman numerals, eight day French movement with lever escapement.
The case is Hallmarked William Comyns, London, 1902 in three places, on the underside of the handle, underneath the base of the case and also inside the door shut.
William Comyns begun working for himself in 1858 from 2, Carlisle Street, Soho moving to 41, Beak Street in the west end of London in the 1880s. He is regarded as one of the finest London Silversmiths of the period. He enjoyed enormous success in the 1890s, many of his goods were retailed by the most famous shops including Tiffany and Co in Paris and New York, the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths company in London etc. William Comyns died in 1916 leaving the business to his two sons Charles and Richard.