Georgian Bracket Clock by Handley & Moore, London
Georgian Bracket Clock by Handley and Moore, London
Break arch mahogany Bracket clock standing on a raised plinth and resting on brass bracket feet with decorative fishscale silk lined frets to both sides and rear glazed door opening to reveal the movement. The front of the case bordered with satinwood and inlaid with brass decoration surmounted by a barss bound pad supporting a brass carrying handle.
Cast brass bezel opening to reveal an enamel dial signed ‘Handley & Moore, Clerkenwell, London’ with Roman numerals and finely pierced brass hands.
Eight day double chain fusee movement of fine quality striking the hours on a large bell, anchor escapement. The backplate with egg and dart border engraving also the brackets and pendulum bob. The backplate signed Handley & Moore, London. C.1805.
‘Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the world’ by Brian Loomes lists Handley and Moore as working in Clerkenwell Close in London from 1801 to 1820 when George Handley retired and later died in 1824. The firm then became known as ‘John Moore, late Handley and Moore’. Both George Handley and John Moore began clockmaking as apprentices for John Thwaites who was one of the very leading master clockmakers of the time, later becoming a partner in the well known London firm ‘Thwaites and Reed’. Both Thwaites and Reed and Handley and Moore did not build many clocks for themselves but concentrated on producing fine quality movements for others to use.