Lantern clock, Richard Rayment, Bury St Edmunds
One piece column turned corner posts with integral tall vase turned finials and domed brass bell bearer, surmounted by a tall vase turned central finial. Plain brass side doors with open-ended turnkey on turned ball feet.
Raised, silvered chapter ring with Cruciform half hour markers and Roman numerals. The dial centre contains an engraved Spray of foliage, bears the signature ‘Rich. Rayment, Bury’. With a pierced steel single hour hand. Three foliate engraved and pierced frets.
Thirty hour rope driven movement with original Anchor escapement and long pendulum, countwheel hour strike on a large centrally mounted bell. Original weight and pendulum.
Richard Rayment was one of Suffolks most important makers. Born c.1686 and died in 1754. He married Mary Browne of Elmswell by licence at Timworth on September 26th 1714. The licence described him as a watchmaker. The couple had six children, one daughter, Mary and five sons, Richard, Griffin, John, William and Thomas. The last two were educated at Bury Grammer School, Richard became a Lawyer. Richard Rayment was not only a king of craftsmen, he was also successful in business. As a freeholder in Bury he voted in the Suffolk County Poll in 1727 and served as church warden at St Marys Church. An example of his work is in the Bridewell Museum, Norwich. Only one of his sons, named Griffin Rayment became a clockmaker, he was born in 1722 and went on to succeed his father upon his death in 1754, when he inherited his fathers tools, equipment and shop premises. Griffins career was short lived surviving his father by only fifteen years. He died in 1769 aged 47. A clockmaker named William Rayment worked at Stowmarket, Suffolk from about 1706 until 1760. He may have been Richards brother. Four lantern clocks have been recorded by William. Richard Rayment seems to have been more prolific, thirteen lantern clocks have been recorded by him.